Autumn (1) 2018
This half term, the children will be learning to:
- Count in multiples of 1000; find 1000 more or less than a given number.
- Recognise the place value of each digit in a four-digit number (thousands, hundreds, tens, and ones).
- Order and compare numbers beyond 1000.
- Round any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000.
- Add and subtract numbers with up to 4 digits using the formal written methods.
- Estimate and use inverse operations to check answers to a calculation.
- Solve addition and subtraction two-step problems in contexts.
- Estimate, compare and calculate different measures, including money in pounds and pence.
- Interpret and present data using appropriate graphical methods.
This half term, the children will be learning about:
- Read and compare a range of fables, traditional tales and stories
- Discuss common features and themes within a text.
- Plan and write a story with description of beginning, middle and end.
- Expand ideas through grammar punctuation and structure.
- Listen to and discuss a wide range of poetry.
- Identify how language, structure, and presentation contribute to meaning.
- Discuss words and phrases that capture the reader’s interest and imagination.
- Respond appropriately to the contributions of others in light of differing viewpoints.
- Recognise and use alliteration and similes to create an atmosphere and mood.
- Find different letter strings that rhyme and use it.
This half term our topic is ‘The Romans’
Could you please read daily with your children, learn weekly spellings and Maths facts daily using ‘Times Tables Rockstars’ and complete the spell zoo activity weekly. Maths homework is given out every Thursday and is to be handed in the following Tuesday.
The children will be given their new Spellings on a Thursday and they will have their spelling test on the following Thursday.
We may be doing PE outside throughout the year, therefore would you please provide warm jogging bottoms, sweat tops and trainers. For indoor PE, your child will need navy shorts, a plain white top and plimsolls. Please could you make sure that everything is labelled with your child’s name. No earrings are allowed to be worn in school.
Now that the weather is much warmer please remember to send your child into school with a water bottle and sun hat every day.
or the phase leader – Miss Coard
If you have any concerns relating to your child, please feel free to see the class teacher:
Class 13 – Mr Reynolds, Class 14 – Mr Khan, Class 15 – Miss Coard