Summer (1) 2018
This half term, the children will be learning to:
Addition and subtraction:
- Add and subtract numbers mentally.
- Add and subtract numbers with up to three digits, using written methods.
- Solve problems including missing number problems, using, number facts and place value.
- Measure, compare, add and subtract: lengths (m / cm /mm); mass (kg / g); volume / capacity (l / ml).
- Add and subtract amounts of money to give change, using
- Understand how to add and subtract fractions.
- Be able to answer a range of Mental Arithmetic questions.
- Interpret and present data using bar charts, pictograms and tables.
- Solve one-step and two-step problems relating to data.
- Identify 2d and 3d shapes.
- Investigate regular and irregular 2D shapes.
- Identify parallel and perpendicular lines.
- Calculate area and perimeter of regular shapes.
- Identify acute, obtuse and right angles in shapes.
- Understand quarter, half and three quarter turns
This half term, the children will be learning about:
- Read and compare a range of stories.
- Discuss common features and themes within a text.
- Discuss words and phrases that capture the reader’s interest and imagination.
- Expand ideas through grammar punctuation and structure.
- Recognise and use, similes, metaphors and personification to create an atmosphere and mood.
- Plan edit and write a story using descriptive language.
- Understand: audience, purpose and language features and how they differ for each genre.
- Identify different types of reports such as non-chronological reports, explanations, instructions and persuasive writing.
- Compare and identify the features and structures for each.
- Understand how language is used to gain reader’s attention,
This half term our topic is ‘Non UK Study and then Walk like an Egyptian’
Could you please read daily with your children, learn weekly spellings and Maths facts daily and complete the spell zoo activity weekly.
The children will be given their new Spellings on a Thursday and they will have their spelling test on the following Thursday.
We may be doing PE outside throughout the year, therefore would you please provide warm jogging bottoms, sweat tops and trainers. For indoor PE, your child will need navy shorts, a plain white top and plimsolls. Please could you make sure that everything is labelled with your child’s name. No earrings are allowed to be worn in school.
or the phase leader – Miss Coard
If you have any concerns relating to your child, please feel free to see the class teacher:
Class 10 – Mr Brown, Class 11 – Miss Gentle and Class 12 – Miss Coard